- This event has passed.
Visions of the Wild – Film screenings: California on Fire & Wilder Than Wild
Friday, September 13 @ 5:30 PM - 10:30 PM| Free
Food, Drinks, Art, and Music by the Alvon Johnson Band
Music at 5:30 PM – Films at 7:30 PM
Starting at 5:30 PM enjoy freshly prepared mexican / american food by our local food truck vendor while sitting outside in front of the Empress Theatre listening to incredible blues music by Alvon Johnson. We will be setting up tables in the street to celebrate the Friday Night Art Walk, and open our doors free to all patrons who wish to enjoy a wonderful night of music, art, film, and libations. This is also the kick off night for our Visions of the Wild Festival (See information below).
Alvon Johnson is referred to as the “King of the Blues” and the “Ambassador of the Blues”. His love and respect for the American art form is shared by large and enthusiastic audiences all around the world in such places as Russia, Spain, Africa, Hungary, Portugal, Poland, Malaysia, China, France, Italy, Japan, Singapore, New Zealand, Europe, Canada, The Bahamas, and Australia. This is a true showman, and he gives his all in his performances. If you have not been to one of his shows, you owe yourself this one pleasurable evening with a man that can change your life in just one night.
• Recipient of the Music Icon Award from the Black Music Association & Academy of America in 2015
• Recipient of the Best Male Blues Artist from the Black Music Association & Academy Of America in 2015
• Voted 2005 Blues Guitar Player of the Year
• Former vocalist with the Rock and Roll Hall of fame group “The Coasters”
• Regional winner of the Guitar Centers “King of the Blues” national contest in 2006 and 2007
• His CD “The Blues Grew up was nominated for Outstanding Blues Album of 2004 Voted as one of the top ten CD’s in Japan in 2005
• His incredible CD “Guitars and Cars”, was voted in the top ten CD’s of 2008 by the prestigious Blues magazine “Real Blues ”
• Nominated for the Entertainer of the Year Award with the “International Music and Entertainment Association”
Wilder Than Wild
A one-hour documentary that reveals how fire suppression and climate change have exposed our forests and wildland-urban landscapes to large, high-severity wildfires, and explores strategies to mitigate the impact of these fires.
Producers Stephen Most and Kevin White will be joining us for the post-screening discussion of Wilder than Wild along with Elizabeth Azzuz.
California on Fire
CALIFORNIA ON FIRE screening + Q&A with Jeff Frost